for the recession wary
Beauty need not come at a price. Here are a few tips to look good AND save a ton of money!
1. Get free haircuts! Training institutes like B Blunt, Nalini &Yasmin, Beyond the Fringe and Christine Valmy give free haircuts to students in their training institutes. You just need to call them and book an appointment.
2. Use natural stuff that is already available at home like besan, multani mitti, to cleanse your skin. You can also use products like curd or beer (for all those who don’t drink it) for your hair. It’s the perfect way to get that natural glow!
3. Get a makeover at a local mall. Training institutes are also always looking for models to practice their makeup skills. So next time you need to go for a party you can go to one of them and get a free beauty makeover.
4. Give yourself facials, manicures and pedicures at home. These kits are readily available in the market and can be found at your local store for a very low price.
5. Shop at discounted beauty shops like Beauty Centre, Crawford Market (Mumbai) and Alfa, Vile Parle (Mumbai). This way you can save a huge amount on imported beauty products.
6. Buy stuff off the street. You can find some of the funkiest and most cost-friendly outfits, shoes, and the like at places like Linking Road, Hill Road and Fashion Street in Mumbai.
7. Be on the lookout for all the different sales and discounts that are printed in the newspaper. Keeping in mind that it is recession time, all major brands have slashed their prices to 50% flat. So you can get branded jeans or shoes at a throwaway price. Of course there are stores like The Loot which offer discounted stuff throughout the year that you can check out as well.
– Aditi Kotwal