The recent death of Phillips Hoffman due to a suspected drug overdose has made us feel that Hollywood will never be the same again without this A-listed star. But he is not alone to have lost the battle against the drug demons. JAM (sorrowfully at that), brings to you five celebrities who died of a drug overdose (and we really really miss them) –
1. Elvis Presley – The King of Rock and Roll, died at the age of 42. He was found unresponsive on the bathroom floor at his Graceland home. The stated cause of death was cardiac arrhythmia, which was caused by an overdose of prescription drugs including codeine, valium, morphine and demerol.
2. Whitney Houston: The world and JAM, of course, was shocked when the famed diva was found unconscious and submerged in her bath tub of her suite at the Beverly Hills Hotel, where she was getting ready for a pre-Grammy party. Her system had been found polluted with cocaine and other drugs.
3. Heath Ledger: Batman’s infamous Joker was found dead in bed by his housekeeper. Ledger had died from acute intoxication from the combined effects of six different prescription drugs.
4. Marilyn Monroe: America’s greatest sex symbol was discovered dead in her Brentwood bedroom by her psychiatrist. She had died of acute barbiturate poisoning and probable suicide. Though her circumstances of death remain questionable and debatable even today.
5. Michael Jackson: The King of Pop also died of a suspected drug overdose though his circumstances of death also remain debatable even today. He was preparing for his tour and his comeback, when he was found dead.