Our college hosted a Spic Macay concert of Ustad Sultan Khan on the 17th of this month. It was a grrreat experience. Spic Macay is an organisation that provides you with the artist… everything else has to be done by you – that includes the backdrop, momentos, refreshments, invites, etc. Since yours truly was heading the organising committee, here is some first hand info on what to do and not to do when hosting a concerts..
1. Decide and confirm the date of when you will be meeting the artist to know his requirements. Make sure this is at least 2 weeks before the concert.
2. Arrange for the caterer, the sound guy and deciding the seating arrangent a week in advance. Keep following up every few days.
3. Don’t do all the work alone. Put together a team for everything. It was a blast working with 15 people in a group.
4. Arrange for the momento. We didn’t want to simply buy something from ouside coz that would have been too impersonal. So we bought wood finished photo frames and got the three best sketchers in college to make sketches while the artistes were
performing. We then put the best sketches in the frames and gave them to the artistes as a reminder of the programme held in our college.
The concert was free for all students. So the response was great. Ustad Sultan Khan actually invited a guy with a guitar to provide the background chords to his songs – and called a girl on stage to sing his famous pop hit Piya Basanti along with him.
– Pooja Pednekar, JBC, JJ School of Arts, Mumbai