Jewelry has been around since time immemorial. And is now a profession in its own right. Starting out with the designer crafting the piece – first sketching it on paper, producing a model and then effectively marketing it.
Gemology Vs Jewelry Design:
These are two totally different streams. Gemologists are trained to identify, sort and grade gemstones; besides understanding the finer nuances of setting stone to metal. Jewelry design courses on the other hand teach students designing, different stone settings, various kinds of finish and actual fabrication. The basics of gemology are taught in Jewelry design.
The Growth Factor:
Most designers start off as interns in design houses, export houses and buying agencies; and draw a starting salary of about Rs 6-8000. Once you start freelancing, the sky is the limit and if you open your own studio, you are on a roll!
Where you do your course from, doesn’t matter as much as the quality of your work. Many designers conduct private classes…which are quite decent.
Inherent aesthetic sense, color sensitivity, and the ability to modify your designs as per existing trends. Good communication and managerial skills are an added benefit!
Minimum educational qualification: 10+2
– National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT): 3 year diploma program in accessory design (including Jewelry design). You have to clear an entrance exam. Website: www.niftindia.com
– SNDT Juhu: offers a diploma in Jewelry design and manufacture. Address: SNDT, Juhu Campus, Santa Cruz (W), Mumbai 400 049
Short term courses:
– The Jewelry Design & Technology Institute (JDTI), Noida: Email: email@example.com
– The Gemological Institute of India: 29, Gurukul Chambers, Mumbadevi Road, Mumbai 400 002
– Gems and Jewelry Export Promotion Council (GJEPC), Tardeo, Mumbai. Website:www.gjepc.org
– Indian Diamond Institute Sumul Dairy Road, Katargam, Surat 395 008, Gujarat
Each design shop has its own patented style and as a result many designers find their creative urges suppressed. Big studios rarely take in freelancers.