Reclusive Bengali actress Suchitra Sen, aged 82, passed away at a Kolkatta nursing home on 17 Jan, following a massive cardiac arrest. Suchitra had made a mark for herself not only in Bengali cinema but also in Bollywood. She worked in memorable films like Devdas, Aandhi, Mamta, etc. She is also the mother of Moon Moon Sen and grandmother to Rima and Raima Sen.
JAM presents to you top five unknown facts about Suchitra Sen –
1. Suchitra Sen’s pairing with Uttam Kumar was one of the most hit jodis of Bengali cinema. She reportedly told the producers that her name should appear before Uttam Kumar’s in all the film posters.
2. Despite her huge popularity and immense fan following, Suchitra Sen never made any public appearances and was never even seen at public functions after she retired.
3. Suchitra Sen is the only actor to have refused a Dada Saheb Phalke award just because she did not want to travel all the way to New Delhi.
4. Suchitra Sen is the first Indian actress to get the Best Actress Award for ‘Saat Paake bandha’ at the 1963 Moscow film festival.
5. Suchitra Sen refused to work with Satyajit Ray because he wanted her to act exclusively in his film and Suchitra being a thorough professional, chose not to hurt the directors responsible for her successful career.