For scores of┬áIndian students wanting to pursue a higher education overseas the second most preferred choice happens to be UK. But currently due to some stringent new visa rules, the once popular┬ádestination has taken a hit.
UKÔÇÖs top notch and prestigious universities like Oxford and Cambridge still manage to attract academic talent even from America. The international student population from China still prefers UK thanks to its ties with Nottingham University. But UK has seen a major detour when it comes to international students from India and Pakistan. According to reports in the last couple of years UK has seen a decline of about 25% international student applicants from India and Pakistan.
UK still makes the list for postgraduate studies. HereÔÇÖs a look at some of the popular universities amongst the international students for varied specializations in medicine, science, engineering, technology and arts.
1. Imperial College London: This top notch educational institution with core focus on medical research is a front-runner. The exceptional excellence in teaching makes the Imperial College London stand out for its masterÔÇÖs courses in medicine. Basic entry criteria for Indian students opting for the masters degree is a bachelorÔÇÖs degree with 75%+ result from a state or deemed institution. Fees for the masterÔÇÖs courses come in the range of 22,500-28,500 pounds.
For more details do check out the universityÔÇÖs website.
2. University College London: This particular university is preferred for its excellence in ground-breaking course-ware, research and educational heritage. Entry criteria to UCL for masters degree happens to be 65% + in bachelorÔÇÖs degree based on the rankings of the state or deemed Indian university. The masterÔÇÖs courses fees comes to about 20,900 pounds.
Do check out the UCLÔÇÖs website for further details.
3. Oxford: The globally recognised University of Oxford is top notch for its excellent teaching through tutorials and emphasis on research. MasterÔÇÖs degree eligibility includes BachelorÔÇÖs degree with First Class/Division. The course fee comes to about 19,310-33,340 pounds.
For further details do check out Oxford UniversityÔÇÖs website.
4. Queen Mary: The Queen Mary, University of LondonÔÇÖs medical school stands out for specialised centres for in-depth research as well as the thorough teaching facilities. Entry to the masterÔÇÖs degree includes First Class Bachelors Degree. The course fee comes in the range of 13,350-23,500 pounds.
Check out Queen MaryÔÇÖs website for more details.
5. Birmingham: The University of Birmingham is preferred by international students due to its focus on innovative learning techniques, research and student facilities. Entry criteria for masterÔÇÖs course includes First Class BachelorÔÇÖs degree. The fee comes in the range of 17,355 pounds.
For more details do check out the universityÔÇÖs website.
1. Imperial College London: This research university happens to be the second best university in the world when it comes to science. Outstanding standards of teaching and research that leads to ground-breaking discoveries makes the Imperial College London stand out for their masterÔÇÖs courses. An entry requirement for masters includes 75%+ result in bachelorÔÇÖs degree from a reputed state or deemed university. Course fee comes at about 18,000-35,250 pounds.
2. Cambridge: This globally reputed university ticks all the right boxes for science when it comes to excellence in teaching, breakthrough research and employability. Aspiring masterÔÇÖs students would require a BachelorÔÇÖs Degree result with Distinction. Fee for masterÔÇÖs courses comes to around 20,790 pounds.
3. Oxford: The University of Oxford is definitely in a league of its own thanks to its renowned teaching style via tutorials, top-notch innovative research and expert academicians. Entry criterion includes BachelorÔÇÖs Degree result with First Class/Distinction. Course fee comes to around 13,300-23,985 pounds.
4. Durham: Research led teaching facilities, excellent employability and award winning scholarly staff makes Durham University preferred for science. MasterÔÇÖs course aspirants require a BachelorÔÇÖs Degree result with 60-70% depending on the institution. The PG course fees come to about 17,900 pounds.
5. York: The University of York makes a mark due to its expert faculty; research focussed on the benefit of society and awards for supporting women scientists. Entry criterion includes BachelorÔÇÖs Degree result with 60% from a recognized institution. MasterÔÇÖs course fee comes around 18,660 pounds.
1. Cambridge: The University of Cambridge stands out for the small group tutorials with a senior teaching staff, exceptional research and higher employment prospects in engineering. Entry requirements for PG courses includes BachelorÔÇÖs Degree with Distinction. Course fee comes around 20,790 pounds.
Further details:┬á www.cam.ac.uk
2. Imperial College London: The worldÔÇÖs second best university definitely stands out for its top notch research standards and teaching techniques that focus on practical application of engineering in the industry. MasterÔÇÖs course criterion includes a BachelorÔÇÖs Degree with 75%+ result. Course fee comes in the range of 26,500 pounds.
Further details: www.imperial.ac.uk
3. Nottingham: The University of Nottingham is favoured by most South Asian students for engineering thanks to its innovative teaching facilities like their e-learning system, problem-based learning techniques that promotes self-direction coupled with reasoning and ground-breaking research as well. Entry criterion includes BachelorÔÇÖs Degree result with 60-75% from a recognised institution. MasterÔÇÖs course fee comes to about 17,500 pounds.
4. Oxford: The University of OxfordÔÇÖs unique tutorial style of teaching that promotes self-reliability, analytical outlook, critical thought, problem-solving abilities as well overall written and oral communication skills makes it count for engineering. The highly regarded research standards add to its global recognition. Entry criterion includes BachelorÔÇÖs Degree with First Class/Distinction. PG course fee comes to about 19,310-23,985 pounds.
More details: www.ox.ac.uk
5. Durham: This UniversityÔÇÖs is preferred for engineering for the academic facultyÔÇÖs meticulous approach that promotes innovative research-led teaching styles and the outstanding research standards under the aegis of award winning faculty. Entry requirements include BachelorÔÇÖs Degree result with 60-70% depending on the institution. Course fee comes in the range of 17,900-20,000 pounds.
1. Imperial College London: This renowned institution with its globally recognised academic research, highest graded teaching faculty, relevant and informative courseware makes the list for technology. Entry criterion includes BachelorÔÇÖs Degree with 75%+ result. PG course fee comes to about 26,500 pounds.
More details: www.imperial.ac.uk
2. Oxford: The University of OxfordÔÇÖs world leading academicians, academic oriented courseware and highest level research standards make it count for technology aspirants. MasterÔÇÖs courses require BachelorÔÇÖs Degree with First Class/Distinction. Course fee comes in the range of 18,110-20,455 pounds.
3. University College London: The UniversityÔÇÖs emphasis on small group teaching with staff to student ratio of 1:10 that promotes outstanding individual support, internationally excellent research standards and great student facilities makes it preferred for PG courses. Entry requires BachelorÔÇÖs Degree with 65%+ based on the rankings of the state or deemed Indian university. PG course fee comes to about 21,700 pounds.
Further details: www.ucl.ac.uk
4. Durham: The UniversityÔÇÖs core strengths lies in brilliant teaching faculty, globally rated research standards and outstanding student support facilities that culminates to finest all-round education for technology aspirants. MasterÔÇÖs course entry requires BachelorÔÇÖs Degree with 60-70% depending on the institution. Course fee comes to about 14,000 pounds.
5. Birmingham: The University of BirminghamÔÇÖs interactive teaching techniques, internationally renowned research standards and global expert academicians makes it stand out for technology. Entry criterion includes First Class BachelorÔÇÖs Degree. MasterÔÇÖs course fee comes around 17, 355 pounds.
Further details: www.birmingham.ac.uk
1. Oxford: The University of Oxford is well known for its arts programme whether itÔÇÖs their most popular PG courses for English, psychology or economics. OxfordÔÇÖs international reputation for highly rated standards in teaching and research makes it worthwhile. MasterÔÇÖs courses entry require BachelorÔÇÖs Degree with First Class/Distinction. Course fee comes in the range of 17,180-35,525 pounds.
2. University College London: This reputed universityÔÇÖs outstanding courseware for arts whether it be Psychology or English, expert academicians as well as meticulous research standards make it stand out. Entry criterion includes BachelorÔÇÖs Degree with 65%+ result based on the rankings of the state or deemed Indian university. PG course fee comes in the range of 16,750-23,700 pounds.
More details: www.ucl.ac.uk
3. London School of Economics: This internationally recognised school is the place to study economics. London School of Economics makes a mark due to quality academicians as well as applied economic researchers take the standard up a notch. Entry requirements include BachelorÔÇÖs Degree with 65% + result. MasterÔÇÖs course fee comes in the range of 17,880-23,064 pounds.
4. Warwick: The University of WarwickÔÇÖs innovative teaching techniques, internationally superb research standards and amazing student facilities makes it preferred for arts whether it be English, Economics or Psychology. MasterÔÇÖs course requires BachelorÔÇÖs Degree result with 60% + result depending on the recognition of the Indian university. Course fee comes to about 14,600-18,900 pounds.
Further Details: www.warwick.ac.uk
5. Bath: The University of Bath is popular for the arts programme thanks to its highly regarded teaching coupled with globally well-known research standards. PG course entry criterion includes BachelorÔÇÖs Degree with 60% and above from a recognised central or state university. Course fee comes in the range of 13,700-16,000 pounds.
A major worry for international students studying in UK definitely tilts around the steep course fees and living expenses. Many prospective students in order to cut down on costs are opting for virtual campuses or distance learning from a preferred UK university. A major upset for many studying in UK is the worry about getting recruited after graduation.
Tier 4 General visa
Aspiring students need to apply for a Tier 4(General) student visa to pursue their courses. UK has a points based visa system wherein just to apply for a student visa one needs to get 40 points including 30 points for CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies), another must is that the chosen college or institution has to be on the register of sponsors part of UKBA-UK Border Agency.
Plans to work after graduating from a university in the UK can be a real challenge. Graduate students need to secure a job with a minimum salary of 21,000 pounds per year to apply for a work visa. With the economy not looking so good and the job market taking a hit, students are left with no option but to head home once they graduate.
Work options┬áafter Ph.D in UK
But there is still something to smile about for students planning to do their PhD.┬áDoctoral students have the option to stay back for a year to look for a job or start their own venture through the Doctorate Extension Scheme that began in April 2013. But provided that the studentÔÇÖs university agrees to continue being his/her sponsor.
UK education is definitely reputable and recognizable in fields like science and research, medicine, law, creative arts and design, engineering to name a few. But since students are unable to settle in the UK after graduation poses as a roadblock and obvious financial commitments to repay student loans definitely makes one think twice. If you donÔÇÖt mind heading home after graduation, have a scholarship in your kitty or believe there is no price tag to a quality higher education then UK definitely ticks all the right boxes. Maybe in the future if there is some leniency in UKÔÇÖs immigration laws there will be a humongous surge of international students.